Thursday, December 18, 2008

Journey started @ Neyveli Part II


This is the continuation of previous post about Neyveli…..Last post was about 180 degree of Neyveli, remaining 180 degree about this sweet town is covered in this post…..

Most of the people in Neyveli have a monotonous life, working and spending time with their family. For shopping, some people go out of Neyveli to Pondicherry, Chennai, Trichy, etc..., as these places are close to Neyveli and well connected. I prefer Chennai or Pondicherry for any purchase. There is one place called main Bazaar specially meant only for shopping where we get most of the stuffs but can’t expect brand and we got habituated to it and I feel that’s the reason why Neyvelites are not brand conscious. Some famous outlets in my town are Lakshmi Bakery, Bata showroom for shoes, blue diamond hotel, Archana hotel (Neyveli arch) etc...

We have couple of parks here namely Nehru Park oldest in Neyveli and Golden Park. I still remember during my childhood days, me, my dad, sister and neighborhood friends used to go to Nehru Park to play Frisbee, football, catching practice, etc… this park is about 5-6 KM from my home. During those days that’s the only place for recreation and time pass, otherwise we used to play cricket by the side of our home. As already mentioned we have ample space for all sports. Sundays we used to play cricket either in security ground or Krishna kovil ground. Hitting a four or six in that is not an easy task that shows the size of the ground. Most of the sports which are played all over the world are offered here at subsidized rates. When talking about sports its necessary for me to mention about two clubs here, they are town club and Park club. Both clubs have good number of sports…..But the membership fees for these clubs are unimaginably low when compared to any other clubs in the world having such good facilities. This is one of the main entertainments for neyvelites. Having stayed in Neyveli for approximately 20 years I have not tried all the sports available in Neyveli. But believe me I had no time during my childhood to read or relax. You may ask what you have done to keep yourself busy everyday. My answer is “oops that’s a good question, hmmmmmm my daily routine starts at 6AM, from 8.45 to 3.45 school kept me busy, I can say that’s the time I used to relax myself by chit chatting with my friends during breaks and sleep during class hours. After 3.45 I will come back to home to go to tennis & Take-won-do on alternate days till my 8th or 9th standard which I don’t remember, after 6.30 I used to go to Hindi class till 8.30 PM, after these hectic schedules finally I get time at 9.30 to do my school home works, which most part of the work I will do in the school, not the same day but the next day that too few minutes before the lecture starts. I will finish these works before lecture starts so that after submitting my home work, I can do my regular work (sleep). After 9th standard cricket kept me busy instead of tennis & Take-won-do. I quited Hindi classes just to concentrate on my studies but after that I found time to play video game and computer game to improve my computer skill.But every Sunday me and my dad will go to swiming pool regularly. Well well well this answer is my lengthiest answer that I have ever written in my life, and that goes against my policy. Ok no problem; I will sacrifice that for my blog.”

The other main time pass they have is going to temples. There are many temples in Neyveli; famous ones are Raghavendar temple, Natarajar Temple, Hanuman Temple, Vaidheswaran temple, Perumal temple, veppamaram temple and list goes on. These temples have their own specialty. One such specialty in Natarajar temple is that it is the tallest natarajar statue in the world. During the time of Pradhosham you can find dense crowd in that temple. People come here to worship, meet their friends and spend some peaceful time in these temples. I would like to explain the importance of all the temples in Neyveli but there is not much space to write as I have to cover rest of my travel around the world. People don’t consider this place as tourist spot though it has great places to attract decent crowd. After writing all these I missed main category of entertainment which is cinema. As mentioned already in my blog that Neyvelites are not much attracted to movies but we still have one good Dts theater and one ordinary theatre inside our town.. If a movie runs for more than 30 days then that movie is a big hit. There is a good student crowd in Neyveli; I hope in future they can improve these entertainments in the town.

There is less traffic in Neyveli unless in peak hours between 8.00 to 8.45am and 3.45 to 4.30pm, that too around bazaar and schools. In total if you take pros and cons of Neyveli, I will recommend you to come and have a feel of everything. Having told everything about Neyveli, I would like to add few more things about how I missed Neyveli, which I felt only when I left Neyveli to do my graduation in Chennai. Life in Neyveli is just opposite to life in Metro’s. I came out of Neyveli at the age of 18 to do Mechanical Engineering in Chennai, where I had a mechanical life for first few months. It’s easy to move around in Neyveli. To reach any place in Neyveli it is just extending your arms to reach your bike key and 2 min drive in that vacant road. Roads are so good that you feel like flying in Parachute. All these things I missed when I moved out of Neyveli, but only after that I started understanding what the outside world is. Neyveli you don’t need to work hard to get anything, but that’s not the case in outside world.

Your inquisitiveness to know the complete story about my travel would be fulfilled in the forthcoming posts….Patience appreciated. There are lots of entertainments, information and emotions waiting ahead so please check in frequently to my blog and leave your comment as that would help me in improving my blog to help you better.


Thank you.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

very very well written.. i cud actually picture the place.. looking forward to more of your posts Rama... u can write in our company blog website too...
happy blogging...

Unknown said...

Hey.. really u r gr8 man.. wat else i can say, aft readin such a fabulous article.. u hav fantastic written skills.. keep blogging..

Unknown said...

Hey, I think U need to add some pictures of the place while describing...thats gives a good view of most of the things about Neyvelli....overall a well written blog....keep doing it...

Unknown said...

Aggree with Ravi there.....try to add some pics of the places you are mentioning about.....well written must say.....keep going.....want to read where you taking us next

Unknown said...

This is truly a great stuff . Keep blogging and very best for your future.

vicky said...

good work..as being a Neyveli-ite, I should say I was suprised to see my home town in the tour guide..but made a nice start..lets see how u proceed from here..waiting to be on board of Ramki's tour bus..:)

Anonymous said...

Good........a cherishing memory...which swings everyday in each one's heart who grew up in Neyveli....

And who was ur master in taek won do and in which block u practised.Mention the year of ur batch in school so that i can recognize u...bcoz me also a taek won do student

ramya said...

I am surprised to see my home town in tour guide..very good water supply for just 5 Rs per month..cheapest rent for houses.. nice schools..clean roads.. very good drainage facility( I bet that one will not find water stagnated anywhere even after a heavy rainfall).. really the exposure for school students is not sufficient. I felt that I missed a lot in my childhood days after I moved out of the town for graduation. But most of the students from Neyveli are in abroad now :)